Re: [xsl] Referencing content in XML and then processing in XSLT 2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Referencing content in XML and then processing in XSLT 2.0
From: Jacobus Reyneke <jacobusreyneke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:21:08 +0200
> You can use whatever you like - "domain-id" and "domain-ref" for
> example.  "id" isn't reserved by the way, so you could use that now.
>
> id/idrefs I've never used (as I don't see the point) but they only
> work when your xml is validated to mark certain fields as ids.  Simply
> having an attribute called "id" isn't enough for the id() function to
> return it.

Thanks again Andrew

>> Also, is there any way to make your solution work if the referencing
>> content is inside an attribute of an element
>> e.g. <company product="The editor &lt;producttype-ref
>> ref-id=&quot;manual1&quot;/&gt;">
>
> That looks awful.  Escaped markup is nearly always wrong.  Why not make it:
>
> <company>
>  <product>The editor <producttype-ref ref-id="manual1">

It's  awful, I know, but I am trying to use XML elements only to
represent irreducible elements in my real world domain. For example, a
'name' is a property of a company, but meaningless on it's own. This
helps me to create more meaningful generic builds for all unknown
elements. You are right though, it's becoming ugly...? Time to rethink
my approach.

Thanks for the help,
Jacobus