RE: [xsl] Expanding Tabs

Subject: RE: [xsl] Expanding Tabs
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:58:34 +0100
> I did come across something of interest when searching for
> xsl expand tabs... in the XSL Working Draft 16-December-1998:
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-xsl-19981216#expand-tabs

That's in the part of the spec that became XSL Formatting objects.

This all raises the question of what you are trying to achieve. Generally,
if your final output is HTML or XSL-FO, then replacing tabs by spaces isn't
a very useful thing to do. It's not likely to be useful for most XML
vocabularies either. I'm not sure it's all that useful even if you are
producing old-fashioned ASCII text in a fixed-width font (like this email),
unless whoever typed the text knows the old UNIX rules and used a text
editor that respects them.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/