Re: [xsl] Open Meta Tag problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] Open Meta Tag problem
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:52:42 -0400
Karl,

At 03:31 PM 5/20/2010, you wrote:
This seems like such an ancient topic, but here it goes...

I have the following:
<xsl:output indent="yes" doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"/>

The resulting HTML document has a bad content-type meta tag:

(It is not closed)

This is not "bad" unless by "bad" you mean "not XML". And HTML is not XML.

HTML -- more to the point, the variant of HTML your stylesheet believes it should produce -- is an application of SGML, in which this particular tag (and indeed, any other tags for elements declared in its DTD as EMPTY, such as 'img' and 'br' and 'hr') need not be matched with a corresponding close tag.

I've tried various doctypes and the results seem to be the same.  How
do I solve this?

If you want XML syntax, you need to configure your XSLT processor to give it to you.

This can generally be done quite easily:

<xsl:output indent="yes" method="xml"/>

Also, while on the subject, what doctype do you use, and why?

This very much depends on the local requirements.

If using the doctype that you have cited (PUBLIC -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN), however, I probably would *not* use method="xml", but instead method="html" (which is what you are getting, probably because your processor infers from the name of the document element of your result, 'html', that this is what you want). This is because the HTML 4.01 DTD is an SGML DTD not an XML DTD, and W3C-conformant HTML 4.01 processors do not expect those particular tags to be closed.

If I knew, on the other hand, that I needed the output to be well-formed XML, I would probably use method="xml" to ensure as much, along with an XHTML doctype.

I hope this helps --
Wendell