Re: [xsl] XSL Dominos

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL Dominos
From: Nick Leaton <nickle@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 15:09:16 +0100
In reverse order, on the fn: - good point, I'll remove them.

On the apply templates versus call, I've never been able to get my
head round the apply-templates bit, particular because of the need to
use a mode. I personally read apply-templates as, "something happens
here, but I don't know what" !!

Call templates makes it explicit as to what happens. My personal take
on that bit.

On the problem I'm having, I have put in trace output, to push out
$message at each stage. It is output correctly, however, the value-of
selections from $message/ give the value, or don't give the value
depending on whether or not its the compound xsl or the single stage
xsl

Nick

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM, David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28/05/2010 14:49, Nick Leaton wrote:
>>
>> Passing xml as parameters
>>
>> I have a problem with passing xml fragments as parameters.
>

> you'd probably find all the xsl a lot easier if you used apply-templates
(in
> a mode) rather than named templates everywhere to which you need to pass
> input as a parameter, as essentially, you are implementing apply templates
> by hand, but still...
>
> cmf-html appears to be written to be called like this:
>

>>          <xsl:call-template name="cmf-html">
>>              <xsl:with-param name="message" select="trade"/>
>>          </xsl:call-template>
>
> passed a trade element, but in your "domino" version it is being passed a
> document node, perhaps that explains the difference?
>
> Also note that you never need to declare
>
>  xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions";
>
> as you can always refer to the built in functions unprefixed, count()
rather
> than fn:count().
>
> David

> The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England
> and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:
> Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR, United Kingdom.
>
> This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The service is
> powered by MessageLabs.

Nick