Re: [xsl] Could not select the text() of both parent & child nodes simultaneously

Subject: Re: [xsl] Could not select the text() of both parent & child nodes simultaneously
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:47:03 +0100
On 16/06/2010 09:30, Jack Bush wrote:
Hi David,

I am very new to XML development, not to mention about XSLT and hesitates to move to version 2.0 for 3 reasons:

( i ) 1.0 is sufficient for what I need to do but there is bound to be better ways to do it in 2.0.

Saxon 9 never executes XSLT 1, It only executes XSLT 2. If you give it an XSLt 1 stylesheet it tries to emulate XSLT 1, but that is not the same thing. Furthermore the stylesheet you posted was inconsistent as it claimed at the top to be XSLT 1 but it used XSLT2 constructs which would generate an error if used with an XSLT 1 processor.

( ii ) XPath& XSLT 2.0 comes at a cost for recent release of Saxon licensing models.

No it does not. The system you are using is free, open source, and implements XSLT 2. The last version of saxon to implement xslt 1 was saxon 6.5.

( iii ) Believes that a schema/DTD is required by the stylesheet. Not familiar with how to set it up yet.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but probably it is a misunderstanding.

Back to the original question, what is the XPath statement in XSLT to get the content of both<a> (team) and<p> (goals) at the sametime?

As I said in my first reply, the source that you posted is clearly not the source you used (as it is not XML) so I can not guess what code you need to process your original source. The source you posted would generate a fatal XML parse error before the XSLT engine started.
If you post a well formed XML source and say what you want it to be converted to, then I'm sure someone will tell you the code you need.

David