Re: [xsl] yet another namespace question (unwanted xmlns="")

Subject: Re: [xsl] yet another namespace question (unwanted xmlns="")
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:30:15 -0400
Hi,

At 09:42 AM 8/15/2010, you wrote:
Dear XSL List,

> Move the xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; to the xsl:stylesheet element. Currently
> you have it inside of a template so that it only applies to the elements created in that template.

Thanks very much to Martin and Michael for the quick response and the explanation. I now realize that I've been putting namespace declarations in the wrong place all my life (well, all the life of the namespace spec, anyway), thinking that because I want them to appear on the root element of my result document I should put them there in the stylesheet, instead of putting them on the root element of the stylesheet itself and letting them get copied to the root of the result. As a bonus, for the first time exclude-result-prefixes now seems to do what I've always wanted it to do.

Of course, one does have to take care that XPath expressions still select and match in the namespace one wants them in. Fortunately, in XSLT 2.0 we have xpath-default-namespace to help with this.

Cheers,
Wendell