Re: [xsl] RE: Xpath question with processing-instruction()

Subject: Re: [xsl] RE: Xpath question with processing-instruction()
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:11:04 -0400
Hi,

At 04:02 PM 8/20/2010, you wrote:
If I just copy that XML into Stylus Studio, and fire up the XPath editor, I can find the text node you're on, and apply the specified test:

//text()[. eq 'Text of a title'][../preceding-sibling::processing-instruction()/name() eq 'ModuleStart']

So it's the second test (i.e. the second bracketed expression) that you want. Substitute '=' for 'eq' if you're stuck with XPath 1.0.

Unfortunately the subexpression '../preceding-sibling::processing-instruction()/name()' won't work in XPath 1.0. And 'name(../preceding-sibling::processing-instruction())' will be unreliable in cases where there is more than one PI in that place (due to XPath 1.0 "first node semantics").

With the child of title (the text node) as context, try

../preceding-sibling::processing-instruction('ModuleStart')

to retrieve the PI.

To test that such a node does not exist,

not(../preceding-sibling::processing-instruction('ModuleStart'))

But wasn't this suggested?

Cheers,
Wendell