Re: [xsl] Question about grouping

Subject: Re: [xsl] Question about grouping
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 07:51:06 +0100
While Hugh's answer might work, the method used in his first for-each select is kind of an odd way of doing Muenchian grouping in XSLT 1.0. Here's the approach with the standard method:...

Both methods

count(A) = count(A|B)

and

generate-id(A) = generate-id(B)

are perfectly acceptable and "standard" ways of comparing node identity in XSLT 1.0. Years ago Jeni did some measurements and found that in some processors the first was faster, in others the second was faster. Both are in common use.

(I seem to remember that the generate-id() method was much slower in Saxon, but I then optimized it in the next release to compare node identity directly without actually computing the IDs.)

Michael Kay
Saxonica