Re: [xsl] XSL-FO: Column Headers

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO: Column Headers
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:37:02 -0400
At 2010-10-06 17:44 -0400, Matthew Nehrbass wrote:
I have a fo:region-body definition with fo:column-count="2". Is it possible to place a something above each column, similar to how fo:region-before allows one to place something above each page?

There are no such column properties. Can you not use fo:region-before, or is that too high on the page?

Even if using the fo:region-before you have *is* too high, you could lengthen it down the page and shorten the heights of your two columns, then draw the column headings in the lengthened fo:region-before.

Another way to mimic that would be to use flow maps and two regions to use as columns, then from one of the static areas use absolutely-positioned block containers in order to draw the column headings, but I don't think that gives you anything more than the above.

Those techniques assume you have control and that every page with the two columns has to be decorated with the same content above the column. You can tweak that a bit by using markers and retrieving some variable content into the column heads.

If the column decoration is identical for both columns you could consider putting your content into a table with a repeating table header and no grid lines in the table body.

Lots of possibilities ... you don't give enough detail to decide which might be best.

I hope this helps.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/i/