Re: [xsl] XSL-FO: Creating Marginalias with Apache FOP

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-FO: Creating Marginalias with Apache FOP
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 11:27:58 -0400
At 2010-11-01 16:17 +0100, Gerhard Glatz wrote:
I am trying to create a PDF with marginalias (side notes) with Apache FOP 1.0.
Since FOP does not support the "float" concept of FO, I am trying to use a table with two columns; the first one for the marginalia, the second one for the main text.

A valid approach ... I've done this myself in an educational study guide.

As the marginalia can consist of more lines than the following main text, I am trying to use a table inside of a table:

Here is the xml (the number and order of maintextX and marginaliaX varies):
<root>
    <marginalia1>number</marginalia1>
    <title>title</title>
    <body_info>
      <maintext1>ipsum lorem</maintext1>
      <maintext2>consectetur</maintext2>

      <marginalia2>ut enim</marginalia2>
      <maintext2>consequat r</maintext2>
      <maintext3>consequat r</maintext3>

      <marginalia2>ut enim</marginalia1>
      <maintext4>consequat r</maintext4>
    <body_info>
</root>

You need the XSLT 2.0 grouping facility using group-starting-with="", but honestly I can't mock up anything with the markup you've posted. Where is <marginalia3>? Do all of the elements always have unique names, or did you make them unique with numeric extensions only to distinguish them?

Please post well-formed XML with *exactly* the markup you're planning to use, and we'll understand that the empty lines represent separate table rows.

I hope this helps.