[xsl] selecting a element without it's child element

Subject: [xsl] selecting a element without it's child element
From: <srinivasan.p@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:37:29 +0530
Hi Experts,

I need to select an element and store in a variable, but not the child
element of that particular element.

My XML

what it Means to be Human</title></book>

My XSLT:

<xsl:variable name="filename"><xsl:value-of select="book/title except
child::indexterm"/></xsl:variable>

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:message><xsl:value-of select="$filename"/></xsl:message>
</xsl:template>

My Current output:

Violent ExtremismSacred Values, and what it Means to be Human

My Expected output:

Sacred Values, and what it Means to be Human

The content of "indexterm" element should not be part of the file name. I
need to ignore that element while selecting the title element.

Can you please give me the solution for this? I am not sure if I am using in
the right way of "except" expression.

I am using XSLT 2.0 and Saxon.

Thanks
Srinivasan