Re: [xsl] xslt test automation

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt test automation
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:45:14 -0500
Hi again,

At 06:02 PM 11/29/2010, I wrote:
At 11:02 AM 11/24/2010, you wrote:
I'm wondering how you test your xslt stylesheets.

I've found a few projects addressing this, for example:
http://xspec.googlecode.com/
http://utf-x.sourceforge.net/

But most of these tools seem to be abandoned or their mailing list low traffic. I wonder why that may be:
Isn't it very common to develop an xslt and then refactor it? Wouldn't a test suite help in this situation? How about test driven development?

My guess is that the reasons for slow development of XSLT testing frameworks in open-source community-driven projects have little or nothing to do with the need, as such. That is, yes, it's common to refactor XSLT; yes, a test suite helps (and at other times too). But the fact that there is a need is not in itself a sufficient motivation for development.

After reading this again I decided it doesn't give enough credit to the excellent (and unpaid) work that has been done in this area. I have used Xspec (by Jeni Tennison with some help from others), and I think it's great; nor do I have anything bad to say about other similar initiatives.

The fact that they aren't more comprehensive than they are, however, I attribute to the factors I mentioned, namely that the *motivation* for a project this complex is an important consideration, both for development and long-term support. Every project, that is, needs a sustainability model.

It seems the flip side of technologies that allow you to be self-reliant is that you discover that you often have to be self-reliant. Of course, this is better than not having options at all due to proprietary lockdown.

Cheers,
Wendell