Re: [xsl] Avoiding boneheaded mistakes in XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Avoiding boneheaded mistakes in XSLT?
From: Michel Hendriksen <michel.hendriksen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:11:22 +0100
Or just list/report expressions that never led to a selection.

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Piet van Oostrum <piet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Dave Pawson wrote:
>
>  > On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 23:13:01 +0000
>  > Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >
>  > > I think the main reason for the problem is that an XSLT/XPath
>  > > program makes many references to names (of elements and attributes)
>  > > which do not have to be declared, so that using an incorrect name
>  > > is not an error (either static or dynamic), but rather results in
>  > > an XPath expression that simply selects nothing.
>  >
>  > I guess no one would do that deliberately?
>  > Yet the rec and implementations don't provide any error | warning
>  > about it?
>
> It would be nice if processors would have a debug mode in which XPath
expressions would be checked against a schema or DTD and give a warning when
some 'impossible' expression is encountered. Impossible meaning something that
never can give a non-empty result on valid documents. Probably just paths that
are illegal according to the schema.