Re: [xsl] xsl:use-attribute-sets, xslt 1.0, fo output

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:use-attribute-sets, xslt 1.0, fo output
From: Dave Pawson <davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:59:27 +0000
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:41:34 +0000
David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 19/01/2011 13:25, Dave Pawson wrote:
> > My objective was to keep all attribute sets
>
> I've used xslt a bit from time to time,
No, go on!!!
 but I've never used attribute
> sets, they are more or less just a simple restricted cut down form of
> named template with a different calling convention, and if they are
> too simple for your use case the easiest thing usually is to forget
> they exist. So typically use a named template or variable, but in
> your case since you want a dynamic dispatch use apply-templates.
>
> <xsl:template match="@remap[.='LINE']">
>    <xsl:attribute name="margin" select="3"/>
>    <xsl:attribute name="color" select="#aabbcc"/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="speaker">
>      <fo:block">
>        <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()/>
>      </fo:block>
> </xsl:template>
>
> David

Mmmm.

I've just found out that I'm basically doing a Saxon with the
attribute sets. I'd have to interpret such things as
<xsl:attribute name="space-before.optimum">
     <xsl:value-of select="$title-sz"/>
  </xsl:attribute>
which lets me build one on another, with dependencies right up to
a single size for a base font size.

which is more than I'm prepared to do.

Taking this idea... I think I can put all the styling in another
stylesheet (the attribute templates) and keep the isolation I want.

I think I could use the variables to build up the set too...
You're just plain devious Mr C :-)

Thanks David.

--

regards