Re: [xsl] Browser implementations of XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Browser implementations of XSLT
From: Emmanuel Bégué <eb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:32:30 +0100
2011/1/30 David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 30/01/2011 11:12, Emmanuel Bigui wrote:
>>
>>  but both Firefox and IE can display pure XML.
>>

> but what do you mean by this? do uou mean just serving a plain xml file
(when IE and FF apply a default xsl stylesheet to convert it to html).

Yes that's what I meant.

> even FF and IE do not apply that default XSLT to the result of an xslt
> transfomation, which is what you seem to imply should happen If you use
> xml-stylesheet to generate xml rather than html, and don't use
> xsl:processing-instruction to insert another xml-stylesheet into the
result,
> it seems FF/IE/Opera/Chrome all do the same thing and generate the elements
> but apply no particular rendering (so effectively you just see the text)
> This seems to be the behaviour I would expect from the relevant standards.

You are right. It had been a while since I had done a transformation
in the browser, but actually neither IE nor FF apply the default
rendering after a transformation; the default rendering is only used
for plain XML files. Sorry about that.

(Here's why the default rendering is useful though, and much missed in
Chrome: many interactions with web services use XML and it's nice to
be able to set them up / debug the protocol in a browser.)

Regards,
EB