Re: [xsl] [XSL 1.0] How to use apply-templates to process a sub-node

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XSL 1.0] How to use apply-templates to process a sub-node
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 16:53:05 -0500
At 2011-02-07 15:51 -0600, Keith Gilbert wrote:
This is a real basic question, I think, but I can't get my head around it. Given this XML:

<root>
<story>
<Head>This is the title</Head>
<Body>This is the body <Big>some of it is bold</Big> and some isn't</Body>
<Body>This is some more body text.</Body>
</story>
</root>

And this XSL:

<xsl:stylesheet>
    <xsl:template match="/">
                <xsl:apply-templates select="Root" />
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="Head">
        <h1><xsl:value-of select="."/></h1>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="Body">
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="Big">
        <bold><xsl:value-of select="."/></bold>
    </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

I'm trying to convert the XML to HTML with XSL. I've got it all figured out and working, except for the <Big> text. I don't understand how to recursively get to the <Big> element when it is a sub-element of <Body>. All the examples I've read about in all my books expect the XML to be:

<Body>
        <Big>text here</Big>
</Body>

But this is a different structure, where the <Big> element is in the middle of the Body element.

Can anyone shed some light on how I get to the <Big> element with apply-templates?

Change *every* use of <xsl:value-of/> in your stylesheet to <xsl:apply-templates/> and it will work for you. And it will be protected from future changes to your XML vocabulary.

You are short-circuiting your stylesheet by using <xsl:value-of/>, thus not engaging the template rules you need. By changing your approach to pushing nodes instead of pulling nodes, you will keep your template rules in play.

I hope this helps.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training