Re: [xsl] Is it legal to do <xsl:copy-of select="element/@attribute"/>?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is it legal to do <xsl:copy-of select="element/@attribute"/>?
From: TW <zupftom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 10:09:04 +0100
2011/2/9 Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> That's precisely what I was loosely quoting.  But that section's
>> heading says "Creating Attributes with xsl:attribute" and doesn't
>> specifically mention that the same behavior is expected for copying
>> attributes using xsl:copy-of (neither does the section about
>> copy-of[1]).
>>
>> Thomas W.
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xslt-19991116#copy-of
>

> I guess that the wise people who authored the spec didn't want to be
> redundant -- copying attributes nodes under a created element is
> actually adding copies of thes attribute nodes to the element -- and
> the restrictions of adding attributes are already defined in the
> quoted section about creating attributes.

In my eyes it still leaves room for interpretation.  If the section
was called "Creating Attributes" then it would be clearer, or
expressed in "situation matching pseudo-xsl":

<!-- This is how it can be interpreted -->
<template match="add attribute[with xsl:attribute]">
  replace any existing attribute with the same expanded-name
</template>

<!-- This is what's probably meant -->
<template match="add attribute">
  replace any existing attribute with the same expanded-name
</template>

(I hope you're getting the idea.)