Re: AW: [xsl] tricky problem filtering input and counting output

Subject: Re: AW: [xsl] tricky problem filtering input and counting output
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:24:56 -0500
Hi,

On 2/22/2011 9:44 AM, Szabo, Patrick (LNG-VIE) wrote:
I hope I'm imagining this correctly. Couldn't you filter the input
before you do the counting ?!

You could dump the document and sections elements you don't need and
count afterwards.

Yes: Trevor's Gordian knot can be cut by pipelining. Filter the document first, then run the transformation to generate the output.

A solution in one pass is also possible -- and might even be fairly clean -- but how it would work best might depend on details of the filtering requirement. Trevor, you haven't shown us the "filter-output" template so we don't know what it does and whether it can be refactored and simplified.

Also, much is possible in XSLT 2.0. For example, if that logic were in a function instead of a template....

Cheers,
Wendell