RE: [xsl] Table columns - fixed span width with underlying "auto" layout columns

Subject: RE: [xsl] Table columns - fixed span width with underlying "auto" layout columns
From: "Murray McDonald" <m.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:05:50 -0500
I thought I would share my results:

Unfortunately RenderX does not support the "visibility" property.  To test
the techniques I set the foreground and background color to produce
white-on-white for these "spacing" inlines.  This looks fine visually but
the characters are, of course, present in the output PDF.  If I really want
to, I can post-process the XEP file removing any such white-on-white text.

Below is a table cell containing the data "$589".  This data appears offset
to the left by the width of a close paren.  The cell has a double-underline.
The length of the double underline is the length of the string "(23,071"
(widest content in column) and the underline is also offset to the left by
the width of a close paren.

<fo:table-cell text-align="from-table-column(text-align)"
display-align="after">
  <fo:block-container height="12pt" margin-right="12pt" margin-bottom="3pt">
    <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute" bottom="0" right="0"
z-index="2">
      <fo:block>$589<fo:inline visibility="hidden"
color="#FFFFFF">)</fo:inline>
      </fo:block>
    </fo:block-container>
    <fo:block>
       <fo:inline border-bottom="3pt double black">
         <fo:inline visibility="hidden" color="#FFFFFF">(23,071</fo:inline>
       </fo:inline>
       <fo:inline visibility="hidden" color="#FFFFFF">)</fo:inline>
    </fo:block>
  </fo:block-container>
</fo:table-cell>