Re: [xsl] Restrict numbering to a sub tree

Subject: Re: [xsl] Restrict numbering to a sub tree
From: Brandon Ibach <brandon.ibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 01:10:53 -0400
All you really need is a pattern for what starts a sub tree.  In your
case, that's a "section" with no "section" ancestors.  Count those to
get the sub tree number and count *from* the last one of those for the
figure number:

    <xsl:number level="any" count="section[not(ancestor::section)]"/>
    <xsl:number level="any" format=".1"
from="section[not(ancestor::section)]"/>

This works for XSLT 1.0 or XSLT 2.0.

-Brandon :)

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Graeme Kidd <coolkidd3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am using XSLT 2.0 and trying to number some elements
> based on the current position within a sub tree as well as numbering which
sub tree it's in.

> For example I could have the following mark-up:<root>
>     <section>
>         <figure />
>         <section>
>             <figure />
>             <figure />
>             <section>
>                 <figure />
>             </section>
>         </section>
>         <section>
>             <figure />
>         </section>
>     </section>
>     <section>
>         <figure />
>     </section>
>     <section>
>         <figure />
>         <figure />
>     </section>
> </root>
>
> Which I am wanting to convert to this:<root>
>     <section>
>         <figure id="1.1" />
>         <section>
>             <figure id="1.2" />
>             <figure id="1.3" />
>             <section>
>                 <figure id="1.4" />
>             </section>
>         </section>
>         <section>
>             <figure id="1.5" />
>         </section>
>     </section>
>     <section>
>         <figure id="2.1" />
>     </section>
>     <section>
>         <figure id="3.1" />
>         <figure id="3.2" />
>     </section>
> </root>
>
> As you can see the first number shows which "section" sub tree it is in
while the second number is used to show its current position within that sub
tree which could include further sub "sections".