Re: [xsl] Processing two documents, which order?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Processing two documents, which order?
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 11:55:32 -0400
On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 08:20 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:

> I want to say any lc character, AND not( : | -)

since : and - are not lowercase characters, just "any lowercase letter"
would work... or by AND do you mean "followed by"?

> <xsl:analyze-string select="." regex="[a-z][a-z\--\-\-:]+">
> works. But I don't know how.

[a-z] is a lower case letter (in ASCII...)
[a-z \- - \:] allows any character in two ranges:
(1) a .. z
(2) - .. :
using the default collation/sorting sequence, this gives (consulting an
ASCII or Unicode chart)
- . / 0123456789 :

This therefore matches pastry:36-little-pigs but not flat:pan_cake

> [a-z-[p]] excepts p from the range a-z
> Is this connected with my misunderstanding?

It might be, but there are no nested square brackets in your example.
The stylesheet you appended had the range --- in it, rather than --: by
the way.

Note that we are using here XPath 2 regular expressions, not Java ones.
They are very close (and both are more or less subsets of Perl regular
expressions, which are much more powerful).

Liam

Pictures from old books: http://www.fromoldbooks.org/
Occasional blog: http://www.barefootliam.org/
The barefoot typographer