Re: [xsl] Best way to represent an item and its context?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Best way to represent an item and its context?
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:11:54 +0100
In the XPath 2.0 data model there are very limited ways to represent complex or composite information of this kind. You could use a sequence with two items, attaching conventional meanings to the two items, but it's not very satisfactory.

In XPath 3.0 with higher-order functions you have a lot more flexibility. We're trying to get support for maps into the language too, so you will be able to return a map with two components, "item" and "context" (both of which might be composite values represented by further maps). At present we've defined this for XSLT 3.0 but there's strong resistance to putting it into XQuery 3.0, which is creating some tensions.

Michael Kay
Saxonica