[xsl] xpath-default-namespace with a variable

Subject: [xsl] xpath-default-namespace with a variable
From: "Murray McDonald" <m.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:06:01 -0400
I am using XSLT 2 via AltovaXML.

I have a need to look up "key" terms in an external glossary document.  The
external document has a default namespace at the root level.  The code works
fine like this:

<xsl:param name="GLOSSARY" select="'./working_files/glossary.xml'"/>

<xsl:key name="definitions" match="glossentry" use="term/@key"
xpath-default-namespace="http://www.abcdef.com/hij"/>

<xsl:variable name="glossaryDocument" select="document($GLOSSARY)"/>

<xsl:variable name="definition">
	<xsl:for-each select="$glossaryDocument">
		<xsl:value-of select="key('definitions',
$normalizedText)/definition" xpath-default-namespace="
http://www.abcdef.com/hij"/>
	</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:variable>

After testing I decided to replace the "hardcoded" namespace with a "global"
variable.  I was surprised to find that this did not work.

<xsl:variable name="glossNS" select="'http://www.abcdef.com/hij'"
as="xs:anyURL"/>

<xsl:key name="definitions" match="glossentry" use="term/@key"
xpath-default-namespace="{$glossNS}"/>

		<xsl:value-of select="key('definitions',
$normalizedText)/definition" xpath-default-namespace="{$glossNS}"/>

I've check the spec and I can't find anything to make me believe this
shouldn't work but it's entirely possible I may have missed some subtlety.

Can anyone tell me if this a bug or expected behaviour?

Thanks.