Re: [xsl] XPath that returns nothing

Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath that returns nothing
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:06:36 +0100
On 29 September 2011 09:15, David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 29/09/2011 03:24, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>>
>> So use, as="element(sockColour)?" maybe?
>>
>> You still get some additional sanity checking and maybe some performance
>> benefits, with less strictness...
>

> yes I do that a bit, but it still makes having two sockColor elements
> instead of one a fatal error and in our setup it's almost always better to
> complete the run and just log errors as they occur.

Yeah it's a tricky one... I've been in the this situation a few times
now (and fwiw is where Kernow came from).  The task is, you have 1000s
of input files and multiple steps, where the output of each step feeds
the next.

You need to be able to run each step individually, or one file in that
step, and of course also run all the steps in one go.  Depending on
the number of steps, a way to run from step x onwards is also helpful.

So then its a case of run-to-the-end and log issues, or fail early and
re-run individual steps.  Personally I much prefer the latter, as
theres a much faster turnaround for fixing and testing issues, but it
does vary depending on the project.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com