[xsl] Wrap an entire element if it starts with text

Subject: [xsl] Wrap an entire element if it starts with text
From: "Rick Quatro" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:06:58 -0500
I have a series of <entry> elements whose entire contents I want to wrap in
a <p> element.

For example, here is before:

<entry>This is a raw entry that needs a p element.</entry>

Here is after:

I want to ignore <entry> elements that already have a top-level child, like
this:

I also want to ignore <entry> elements that just consist of a space, like
this:

<entry> </entry>

With my stylesheet and XPath statement below, everything works fine.
However, it doesn't handle elements like these, that also need to have their
contents wrapped:

well.</entry>

I want to get this:

as well.</p></entry>

Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Rick

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'
version='1.0'>
  <xsl:template match="node() | @*">
    <xsl:copy>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>
  <xsl:template match="//node()[parent::entry[not(*)][.!=' ']]">
    <xsl:element name="p">
      <xsl:copy>
      </xsl:copy>
    </xsl:element>