RE: [xsl] why no indent here

Subject: RE: [xsl] why no indent here
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:35:16 -0000 (GMT)
On Mon, December 12, 2011 7:59 am, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> But it don't work well. If I do the <xsl:text> then the sentence after
> that will be without the line-break.

Sorry, but I didn't understand that.

> When I have a xml piece of this :

>          Geboorte gewicht : 2000 gram
>          Geboorte lengte : 44 cm.
>          Geboortedatum : 1 september 2005

> And I do <xsl:value-of select="body" or I do <xsl:copy-of select="body">
> Then all the text will be displayed as this :
>
> Tamara Wobben  Geboorte gewicht : 2000 gram Geboorte lengte : 44 cm
> Geboortedatum : 1 september 2005
>
> And not as the text in the xml file.

I expect that the line breaks and extra whitespace are in the XHTML but
aren't being shown by your web browser: text nodes containing both
whitespace and non-whitespace text are not stripped, nor stripped of their
'extra' whitespace (unless you've slipped in a normalize-space() that you
haven't told us about, that is).

You could output the content in a <pre>, though by default that would come
out as monospaced text.  You could then add CSS styles to use a
proportionally-spaced font with the <pre> if that's what you want.

If you were using XSLT 2.0, you could use xsl:analyse-string to replace
the line breaks with <br /> elements.  With XSLT 1.0, you could do much
the same thing with a recursive template that uses substring-before() to
find the text before the first line break, outputs that text and a <br />,
then calls itself with the substring-after() the first line break.  When
there's no more line breaks, the template would just output the remaining
text.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming