RE: [xsl] xml /xslt cms

Subject: RE: [xsl] xml /xslt cms
From: Roelof Wobben <rwobben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:28:55 +0000
> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:18:40 +0100
> From: wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx
> To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [xsl] xml /xslt cms
>
> On 13 December 2011 13:56, Roelof Wobben <rwobben@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Oke,
> >

> > The job is to convert this site (http://www.tamarawobben.nl) into a
xml/xslt solution.

> (Hmm, I was asking you to avoid these XML, XSLT terms.)

I apolize for that.

> What kind of benefit do you expect (or have benn told to expect) from
> this migration?
>
> What is not working well for you now?

The benefit I'm hoping to find is a solution which can be handled better then
I have now.

The site is now build in Textpattern cms and I needed a very complex script to
make it work.

If I change it now by adding a new item in the side menu the site is unstable
and the text is shown on the wierdest place.

Also there is not a solution I can build the menu like I want without building
it statically.

> > Like you see is that some months have several pages which contains
different number of pages.

> > So I need some sort of prev/next to go the next or previous page of that
month.

> These are HTML issues, and you have to set up a structure for months
> and pages. But it does not advocate the use of "heavy" tools.

I don't agree with you. Most of the cms can only handle a fixed number of
articles on a page.

So I need flexibility to make what I have in mind and making all the site in
html is a hell of a job.

Expecially when I need a new layout or something else changed.

> > As menu I need a collapisble year/month menu. So the user chooses a year
and then the months are displayed.

> > As layout I like this idea (http://www.notepadchaos.com)
> >

> OK.
>

> > The site is running on virtual shared hosting so I can't use a whole
server.

> > I hope it's clear what I want.
> >

> It's just a set of HTML pages, with simple features. I can't see that
> Symphony or
> anything else is really necessary here. And if you aren't experienced with
XSLT,
> why use it?

Because I did not find any html or php solution which can do what I have in
mind.

And I read that with xslt I can build flexible sites in a way a person wants.

And yes, im not experience in xslt but also not in C or php.

But if you know a solution I can build the site without xslt Im happy to hear.

Roelof