Re: [xsl] [XSL-FO] Way to include an outside stylesheet?

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XSL-FO] Way to include an outside stylesheet?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 07:49:11 -0500
At 2012-02-08 09:46 +0000, Florent Georges wrote:
Wendell Piez wrote:
> "XSL", in fact, properly means the combination of XSLT and
> XSL-FO, even if it's also commonly used to mean XSLT without
> XSL-FO.
  Even worse...  Some people use it to refer to XSLT (like an
"abbreviation" of XSLT, mainly because of the usual extension
.xsl I guess).

My students tell me the confusion is because of the choice of the namespace prefix in code they've seen ... I am often asked "Then why isn't it <xslt:value-of>?".

Of course the very first examples of XSLT were created when XSLT was chapter 2 of XSL. Well, it still is as a reference, but in the first drafts, before it was split off, all of XSLT was described in the body of chapter 2 of XSL.

Some people use it to refer to XSL-FO, as the XSL
spec actually refers to the XSLT spec, but includes (and is) the
spec body for XSL-FO.  And I guess some people use it to refer to
XSL, but I rarely have the opportunity to speak about XSL as a
whole ;-)

  My rule of thumb: always use either XSLT or XSL-FO, and if you
hear XSL, ask for precision.

+1

-- Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training Free 5-hour video lecture: XSLT/XPath 1.0 & 2.0 http://ude.my/uoui9h Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal