Re: [xsl] loop without switching context

Subject: Re: [xsl] loop without switching context
From: Fred Christian <fchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:44:34 -0700
Thanks Wendell, Michael and David,

I was able to learn a bit from each answer.

I got my transform working by using the proper form
    <xsl:variable name="x" select="."/>
instead of
    <xsl:variable name="x"><xsl:copy-of select="."/></xsl:variable>

I think I will finally brake that habit from my msxsl xslt 1.0 days.

And I can see your point about the term "loops". It can set up a
misunderstanding. One that I have helped others though while teaching
xslt, so I should know better.

Thanks,
Fred

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> First off (this is totally minor) there are those among us who get nervous
when people refer to "loops" in XSLT, which they really aren't. (I realize
that even loops aren't loops, but still.)

> For the main business:
>

> On 3/22/2012 7:36 PM, Fred Christian wrote:
>>
>> The loop works, but it switches my context so that template "a" no
>> longer has the xml it needs.
>> I realized I could pass in the context node as a param, but it seems
>> that is only giving me access to children and not ancestors of the
>> context node.
>

> The usual solution to your problem is to bind the node needed to a variable
outside the for-each, so it is available inside it. And, as you say, it can be
passed as a parameter into any other templates.