Re: [xsl] for-each-group group-by

Subject: Re: [xsl] for-each-group group-by
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:07:37 -0400
At 2012-04-04 21:03 +0000, Craig Sampson wrote:
I am creating an index of paper titles using xsl:for-each-group to select and group by the titles of the papers alphabetically using the first character of the title.

Eg:
<xsl:for-each-group select="//section" group-by="upper-case(substring(normalize-space(paperTitle),1,1))">
<xsl:sort select="current-grouping-key()"/>
. . .

Some of the paper titles start with double left hand quotes. Others start with a numeral. In those cases I want the group-by to use the first alpha character in the title string. I could do this if regular expressions were allowed in the group-by attribute, but they're not.

Actually, the replace() function is allowed in the group-by= attribute and you can use regular expressions in that function.

I hope this helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- May 2012
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm