Re: [xsl] How white space affects text-indents

Subject: Re: [xsl] How white space affects text-indents
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 11:28:40 -0400
Hi Karl,

On 4/6/2012 8:12 PM, Karl Stubsjoen wrote:
> correction: How would you create a first line indent where multi-line
> content flows under the bullet?

Now I'm confused. It appeared from your first post that you wanted multi-line content to flow but not under the bullet, hence the hanging indent.

I.e. it appears you want (A)

* Here is multi-line content, flowing
  across lines as multi-line content
  will, when it is long enough to
  require multiple lines.

And not (B)

* Here is multi-line content, flowing
across lines as multi-line content will,
when it is long enough to require multiple
lines.

As Ken indicated (he even fired up his formatter for you), it's not practical, with a proportional font, to guarantee (A) using a hanging indent, since the exact space occupied by the bullet and whitespace will depend on font metrics and perhaps other exigencies.

The reason for my approach:
The common fo object in use in the document are fo:blocks with lots of
text in them that flow over several lines, and based on the existing
functionality of the templates and structure of the xml source it was
easiest to drop an inline block container with the bullet.

In this case, I imagine the best solution would be to solve the XSLT problem, flowing your content into list-blocks, which are designed for the purpose. It's true that this might require some group-adjacent logic if your XML source is not well structured.

Unless we have failed to get the point, of course.

Cheers,
Wendell