Re: [xsl] "Tunneling" a parameter in document order

Subject: Re: [xsl] "Tunneling" a parameter in document order
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:51:31 -0400
Christian,

As Andrew indicates, we can't give good specific advice without something specific to work with.

On the other hand, I can report that in general your solution #2, pipelining, does work well. First, traverse your document top-down or in whatever order you need (for example, a sibling-to-sibling traversal is sometimes useful), passing a (tunnel) parameter to perform the count; as you go, copy the document and add a new attribute to every element that needs one, capturing the value of the count at that point. Bind the result to a variable, and apply templates to this temporary tree in a second pass.

Using this method, your counting logic will be expressed by means of template matches in the mode used in your first pass. These templates will control the details of the traversal as well as where and how the counter is incremented and/or reset, or not, as appropriate.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Wendell