Re: [xsl] Incorrect colname attribute value in case of rowspan attribute presence in html while HTML to CALS Table Transformation

Subject: Re: [xsl] Incorrect colname attribute value in case of rowspan attribute presence in html while HTML to CALS Table Transformation
From: Michael Müller-Hillebrand <mmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:16:01 +0200
JSR,

If you are looking for a finished, glossy solution it is a commercial thing,
like Andrew mentioned. Read: Hire an experienced consultant.

My situation was to change a table structure (not pure HTML) using colspan and
rowspan attributes to CALS.

Starting with the mentioned solution by Andrew Welch, I finished the task in
less than two hours. The normalization works in three steps:

1) remove all colspan by duplicating the appropriate cells within the same
row
2) remove all rowspan by duplicating the cells from the previous row (and
thereby decrementing the rowspan counter)
3) create final output

Since I (as you) do not need a normalized table, it is nevertheless still the
easiest method to get reliable values for colname.

So in step 1 and 2 I duplicate the cells but not their content, and I leave an
attribute which helps me in step 3 to create my final table.

The result of step 1 is a variable with the table structure and all
colspan-ned cells are normalized. This is the input to step 2
The result of step 2 is a variable with the table structure and all
rowspan-ned cells are normalized.
In step 3 you use the result of step 2 to create your final table.

Best of luck,

- Michael