Re: [xsl] Diagram of XPath axes

Subject: Re: [xsl] Diagram of XPath axes
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 11:59:24 -0400
At 2012-05-25 16:55 +0100, Andrew Welch wrote:
On 25 May 2012 16:36, Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/24/2012 7:04 PM, Michael Kay wrote:
>>
>> I do wish we had an "until" operator, so we could do //* until (. is
>> current()). You can do that of course with a recursive function.
>

> I was just implementing that recursive logic, several ways, for an
> upconversion project.
>
> So yes, 'until' would be great. Also for wrangling overlap, which has a lot
> in common with upconversion.

Isn't 'except' pretty much the declarative version of 'until', which
has procedural connotations?

I don't think "except" works because that would be everything before and after but not current.

Would "up to" cover off your concerns for procedural connotations?

What I don't like about "up to" is the use of the word "up" and readers for whom English is not their first language. They might think directionally up the tree.

-- Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012 Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal