Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 compability issue occured in topicmerge.XSL in DITA 1.5.1

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 compability issue occured in topicmerge.XSL in DITA 1.5.1
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:49:24 +0100
On 19/06/2012 10:49, team wise wrote:
Hi Michael,

Further to my last message, I just run another version of the
problematic XSLT 1.0 stylesheet which I reported to the list and got
this error:

   [xslt] D:\InfoShare\AppSOMC\Utilities\DITA-OT\SEMC_Infoshare\xsl\topicmerge.xsl:47:31:
Fatal Error! Variable name is not a valid QName: xml:lang

XSLT 2.0 defines a number of namespaces as reserved, and you are not allowed to declare variables / functions / templates etc in these namespaces. XSLT 1.0 did not have any explicit rules on this, but the general theory with namespaces is that you should not put things in a namespace that you do not own; XSLT 2.0 was formalizing this piece of etiquette.

It's a slightly unfortunate error message.

Michael Kay
Saxonica