[xsl] Theory question about keys (no code)

Subject: [xsl] Theory question about keys (no code)
From: "FAIR, ED" <ef7193@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:16:53 +0000
Hi,

I am not totally new to xslt but have a very basic question about keys.

My stylesheets are working but performance is starting to suffer as document
sizes have grown.  I'm trying to improve performance by adding and using
keys.

I understand that an xsl:key creates something like an associative array that
can be used to cross-reference elements in my document using the key()
function.   I have no problem understanding these concepts.

My question is:  when is the associative array built?  Is it built entirely in
the beginning, as the source document is first read into memory?  Or is it
built incrementally, as each template is matched during transformation?

FWIW, I am using xslt 1.0, xsltproc in Solaris 10:

      $ xsltproc -V
      Using libxml 20623, libxslt 10115 and libexslt 812
      xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20623, libxslt 10115 and libexslt
812
      libxslt 10115 was compiled against libxml 20623
      libexslt 812 was compiled against libxml 20623
      [vsadm@alnvitalpol2: /usr/home/vsadm/csv-pcrf-1 ]
      $

ed