Re: [xsl] position last and attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] position last and attributes
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:41:02 -0400
At 2012-09-20 13:08 -0400, John P. McCaskey wrote:
Though not required to by spec, in practice do the major XSL processors treat attributes in document order, alphabetical order, or any other repeated order?

I think they are all different (as they are allowed to be). I doubt they consult each other to come up with common practices.

One might decide to put defaulted attributes before specified attributes, or specified attributes before defaulted attributes.

When writing XSL, I sometimes need to jump through hoops that could be avoided if I knew the processor would treat the attributes in the same order every time. If I knew what that order is, all the better.

In the classroom I tell my students that if they think they need to know the order of attributes to think again ... they probably don't.

My code might not work on a different XSLT processor or be guaranteed to work with different revs, but often that's OK.

Could you characterize where in your algorithms you find the order of nodes along the attribute axis important or useful? How would you describe the hoops you need to jump through?

-- Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal