[xsl] Re: [xml-dev] XPath as a stand-alone programming language

Subject: [xsl] Re: [xml-dev] XPath as a stand-alone programming language
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 08:47:10 -0700
Jim,

Now that I see that there is interest in this, I will consider posting
to Bugzilla.

Thank you.

Dimitre

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Jim Melton <jim.melton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dimitre,
>
> Thanks for showing us your work on this.  Very interesting, I thought.
>
> You suggested some new post-3.0 XPath features in your message.  A
preferred
> way to let the XSLT and XML Query Working Groups know of such proposed new
> requirements would be to post them on W3C's public Bugzilla instance, using
> Product = "XPath / XQuery / XSLT" and Component = "XQuery 3.1 Requirements
> and Use Cases".  (Note that there is no assurance that there will ever be
> another version of XPath, XQuery, or XSLT after the current 3.0 versions
> under development, nor that any such future version will be designated
> "3.1".)
>
> You can locate that Bugzilla instance at
> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi
>
> Hope this helps,
>    Jim
>

> At 10/24/2012 07:32 AM, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
>>
>> A few months ago I had the pleasure to do "all XPath programming".
>>
>> I developed the Binary tree data type and the Set data type
>> essentially completely in XPath 3.0.
>>
>> These can be found in my blog, respectively at:

http://dnovatchev.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/the-binary-search-tree-data-struct
urehaving-fun-with-xpath-3-0/

>> and

http://dnovatchev.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/the-set-datatype-implemented-in-xp
ath-3-0/

> [...]
>> > expression to appear as its operand (subject only to operator precedence
and
>> > data typing constraints).
>> >
>> > For example, take this expression:
>> >
>> > 3 + ____
>> >
>> > The plus (+) operator has a left-operand, 3. What can the right-operand
>> > be? Answer: any XPath expression! Let's use the max() function as the
>> > right-operand:
>> >
>> > 3 + max(___)
>> >
>> > Now, what can the argument to the max() function be? Answer: any XPath
>> > expression! Let's use a for-loop as its argument:
>> >
>> > 3 + max(for $i in 1 to 10 return ___)
>> >
>> > Now, what can the return value of the for-loop be? Answer: any XPath
>> > expression! Let's use an if-statement:
>> >
>> > 3 + max(for $i in 1 to 10 return (if ($i gt 5) then $i*3 else $i*2)))
>> >
>> > The fact that XPath is a composable language is very cool and very
>> > powerful.
>> >
>> > Contrast this with XSLT, which is not fully composable: XPath
>> > expressions can be used as operands to XSLT instructions, but not the
other
>> > way around. Similarly Java has constructs called statements that
>> > cannot be nested inside expressions.
>> >
>> > /Roger
>> >

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Dimitre Novatchev
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
>> ---------------------------------------
>> To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk
>> -------------------------------------
>> Never fight an inanimate object
>> -------------------------------------
>> To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the
>> biggest mistake of all
>> ------------------------------------
>> Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
>> -------------------------------------
>> You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what
>> you're doing is work or play
>> -------------------------------------
>> Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
>> -------------------------------------
>> Typing monkeys will write all Shakespeare's works in 200yrs.Will they
>> write all patents, too? :)
>> -------------------------------------
>> I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

> Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
>   Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32 and W3C XML Query WG    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
> Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
> 1930 Viscounti Drive      Alternate email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
> Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA  Personal email: SheltieJim at xmission dot com
> =  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
> =  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
> =  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev