Re: [xsl] Inverting names with Jr and Sr considered

Subject: Re: [xsl] Inverting names with Jr and Sr considered
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 09:10:42 +0000
I wouldn't even attempt to write any code based on this as the specification. For this to work at all well, you're going to need to iteratively adapt the solution to handle all the names in your dataset, or at least a sample of a couple of thousand of them. There's just too much variation in the names you might encounter. Are "Jr" and "Sr" really the only suffixes, and are they always spelt this way, or do you also get "III" and "Jnr" and "Jnr."?

If I'm wrong, and the names are all regular and in the pattern you describe, then I think you can just tokenize on whitespace and do something like

suffix := $tokens[last()][. = ('Jr', 'Sr')]
stem := if ($suffix) then remove($tokens, count($tokens)) else $tokens
value-of select="concat($stem[last()], ',']), remove($stem, count($stem), if ($suffix) then concat('(', $suffix, ')') else '')"

Michael Kay
Saxonica