Re: [xsl] Re: XSLT-driven syntax highlighting for XPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 and XSD 1.1

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: XSLT-driven syntax highlighting for XPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 and XSD 1.1
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 04:51:53 -0800
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Philip Fearon <pgfearo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As
>> we all too-well know one of the most frequent and most difficult to
>> detect programming error is failing to precede a (what must be a)
>> variable reference with the '$' character. I would like any such
>> occurence to be hi-lighted in bold red, and in addition, even
>> flashing. Just implementing this will save many hours of confusion to
>> us all.
>
> I agree this would be most useful as I often find I've omitted the '$' myself.
> Though this would be a simplistic approach I guess the easiest thing
> would be to just
> have a key holding all the permitted element names (even ignoring namespaces)
> and for each apparent element name found in the expression check for a match.

I thought of something even more simple:

Error-highlight a name if it isn't starting with the '$' character and
there is a variable defined with the same name.

Even if this is not an error (a node with the same name exists in the
set of documents being processed), this would be a good warning that
it would be a good idea to change the name of the same-named variable
to something more safe.

This can be done easily for a primary stylesheet that doesn't
import/include other stylesheets. Importing/including can be added as
a second stage by implementing a graph traversal whete the nodes are
the stylesheet modules and the arcs are the import/include
relationships.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev