Re: [xsl] A compelling use case for employing binary trees in XML processing?

Subject: Re: [xsl] A compelling use case for employing binary trees in XML processing?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:39:27 -0800
Another good use of a balanced binary search tree -- with a little
additional work a BST can be used to produce in O(log(N)) the rank of
an item in a collection (regarded as sorted), or to access an item in
a collection (regarded as sorted) by index.

So if a balanced BST contains: 1, 3, 8, 12, 17, 23, 37  -- we can
determine that the rank of 17 is 5 and that the 4th item in this
sorted sequence is 12.

To do so, we need to store with each tree node, the count of nodes in
its left subtree.

Let's remember that accessing an item by its position in a sequence is
generally O(N) operation (some XSLT processors, like Saxon optimize
sequences by using vectors, but such optimizations can't be relied on
accross different XSLT processors). And of course, sorting is
O(N*log(N)). One can't have efficient binary search in a sequence,
because a sequence isn't an array, and expressions like $seq[$mid]
are O(N) -- not O(1).

Cheers,
Dimitre

--