Re: [xsl] Will every XSLT processor reduce upper-case('ß') to SS ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Will every XSLT processor reduce upper-case('ß') to SS ?
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 18:02:22 +0000
On 05/01/2013 12:41, David Carlisle wrote:
On 05/01/2013 10:08, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
Hi Folks,

Here is a common German surname:

Strau_

I used SAXON to convert the surname to uppercase:

upper-case('Strau_') returns STRAUSS

Notice that _ was converted to SS.

As David says, the mapping is defined by the Unicode standard, and is not processor-dependent, except that the spec allows a processor to use a future version of Unicode, which could change the mapping.

Wolfgang knows the cultural/linguistic details better than I do, but in most contexts when the name Strau_ is written in upper-case, the form used in STRAUSS. The upper-case _ recently added to Unicode is a rarity. Before it was added to Unicode, the submitters were required to provide evidence that the character was in actual use, and I recall seeing various photographs of tombstones and book spines from various periods in history in the justification.

The _ character is historically a ligature formed from a long s and a z, and since long s is encountered only in lower-case, there's good reason to argue that the upper-case form should be "SZ" in archaic uses and "SS" in modern uses.

Michael Kay
Saxonica