Re: [xsl] character maps

Subject: Re: [xsl] character maps
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 10:30:26 +0100
On 16/05/2013 04:31, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
The technicalities have been explained and answered, but I just
wonder why an UTF-8 encoding has to be converted to to NCR. It's
quite unlikely that any XML processor isn't capable of reading UTF-8
- day 1 of Unicode is long past.

I routinely do this if generating XML or (X)HTML files for others to use. Browsers (and other XML clients) can of course understand UTF-8 but (as specified) they believe the encoding information in HTTP headers which means that anyone putting the files on to their local http server has to configure the mime types correctly. It's just easier to make the files work with any of ascii, latin1 or utf8 than explain to people what they need to do to, especially as they may not have control over the server (and not every server allows local customisation with .httaccess etc)

David

________________________________________________________________________ The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is: Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR, United Kingdom.