Re: [xsl] German umlaut sort

Subject: Re: [xsl] German umlaut sort
From: Michael Müller-Hillebrand <mmh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 20:17:54 +0200
Am 06.06.2013 um 17:16 schrieb Jean-Pierre Lamon <jpl@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Thank you Michael,
>
> I'm sorry but I'm quite new to XML and XSL and I know nothing about Saxon
> :-) So : XSLT 1.0 and MSXML are a good reply? If yes, that's it.

At least the reply states important facts. According to the XSLT spec all
advanced sorting support is implementation-defined. So I guess you just have
to try which language codes MSXML supports in your environment. Just create a
good sample file and try several permutations, like

<xsl:sort select="." lang="de-CH" />
<xsl:sort select="." lang="de_CH" />
<xsl:sort select="." lang="de" />

(maybe you have to write the language code as a string in 'quotes')

> Better to use Saxon for this issue?

It would be better to use an XSLT 2 processor in many cases, and if you need
one with good support, Saxon surely is an option.

- Michael