Re: [xsl] How to check an element's type against an XSD simpleType and skip that element if it does not conform to the simpleType?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to check an element's type against an XSD simpleType and skip that element if it does not conform to the simpleType?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:16:14 -0400
At 2013-07-15 18:55 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
The item of interest, however, is this snippet:

            <xsl:for-each select="/bk:BookStore/bk:Book">
                <xsl:if test="data(bk:ISBN) instance of bk:ISBN-type">
                    <ISBN><xsl:value-of select="bk:ISBN"/></ISBN>
                </xsl:if>
            </xsl:for-each>

The for-loop iterates through each Book and checks to see if the value of its ISBN element conforms to ISBN-type; if it doesn't conform, then it skips that ISBN and goes to the next Book.

In the XML document shown above, the Book element has an ISBN (xxx1-56592-235-2) that is not valid, so I expect my XSLT program to skip it.

However, that is not happening. I get this error message:

    The content "xxx1-56592-235-2" of element <ISBN> does not
    match the required simple type. Value "xxx1-56592-235-2"
    contravenes the pattern facet "\d{1}-\d{5}-\d{3}-\d{1}|\d{1}-..."
    of the type ISBN-type

Yep! Because I think you are taking one step too far. I haven't tested it, but I think this will work for you:

test="string(bk:ISBN) instance of bk:ISBN-type">

What am I doing wrong please?

You are enforcing the schema constraint by using data() before checking that the content conforms to the constraint. In my code I'm simply getting the value as a string, thus not imposing any constrains, and then checking that string to be convertible to the said constraints.

Please let me know if that works for you.

I hope it helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, and UBL classes in the Netherlands     Oct 2013 |
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Australia Oct 2013 |