Re: [xsl] How to check an element's type against an XSD simpleType and skip that element if it does not conform to the simpleType?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to check an element's type against an XSD simpleType and skip that element if it does not conform to the simpleType?
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 14:49:19 +0200
Costello, Roger L. wrote:

If the input hasn't been validated you can just get the text content of
the node and check

<xsl:if test=". castable as bk:ISBN-type">

But **bk:ISBN-type** is a simpleType defined in the XML Schema; so I have to import the XML Schema:

     <xsl:import-schema namespace="http://www.books.org";
         schema-location="BookStore.xsd"/>

But then I am back to the problem of the XSLT processor insisting on validating all of my XML document.

Is there a way to get access to the simpleType, ISBN-type, without importing the XML Schema?

With AltovaXML for instance I think a document is only being validated if it has the xsi:schemaLocation attribute linking to a schema.
For the example I posted where I took your schema I am able to use the schema through xsl:import-schema while not validating the complete input document.

Perhaps Saxon allows a similir configuration.