Re: [xsl] Does anyone know the difference between Saxon-HE and Saxon-B?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Does anyone know the difference between Saxon-HE and Saxon-B?
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:46:10 +0100
You're welcome to ask Saxon-specific questions on the saxon-help mailing list
at SourceForge, or on the Saxonica support forums at http://saxonica.plan.io/

The Saxon "packaging" was reorganized from release 9.2, which came out in
August 2009. You can find details of the repackaging here:

http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!changes/installation/9.1-9.
2

I made the decision at that time to draw a clear line between what would be
available in the open source product - namely a high quality implementation of
the W3C standards at the minimum conformance level, with no extensions; and
what would be only available in commercial editions, namely features going
beyond basic conformance for extra performance or productivity. At the same
time I introduced the Saxon-PE product at the very modest price of #50 for a
single license or #1000 for a site license.

The change was very successful in securing a revenue stream to enable
continued investment in the Saxon technology. Without this, for example,
Saxon-CE could not have happened. I didn't want the product to go the way of
libxslt, where thousands of users were (and still are) getting great value
from the product, but none of this value was feeding back into improving the
software.

Saxon-B 9.1 of course remains available for anyone who prefers things the way
they were before the change.

Michael Kay
Saxonica