Re: [xsl] [XSLT Streaming] Are xsl:for-each and xsl:iterate equivalent?

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XSLT Streaming] Are xsl:for-each and xsl:iterate equivalent?
From: "Sean B. Durkin" <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 02:23:37 +1000
One other difference:
  xsl:for-each can leverage xsl:sort. xsl:iterate can not.

Faithfully,
Sean B. Durkin

On 30/08/2013 2:22 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
To my way of thinking, streaming means that we start at the top and sequentially make our way through the document (or break out if desired). Given that, it seems like when doing streaming Best Practice is to use xsl:iterate and not use xsl:for-each. Do you agree?

If there are no parameters passed from one iteration of the loop to the next, and if there is no break-out, then the two constructs are semantically equivalent and there is no strong reason to prefer one over the other.

Michael Kay
Saxonica