Re: [xsl] Specification of a transform.

Subject: Re: [xsl] Specification of a transform.
From: Tommie Usdin <btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:05:25 -0400
In 2007 Wendell Piez and I wrote a conference paper on this topic. "Separating
Mapping from Coding in Transformation Tasks".

The slides are available at:
http://www.mulberrytech.com/papers/MappingTransformations/index.html
and there is a sample mapping specification at:
http://www.mulberrytech.com/papers/MappingTransformations/dhqmap.html

We at Mulberry still use this method. We find that, in general, using this
method, the mapping takes about twice as long as the coding. Total development
time is less than if the mapping step is "skipped" (because the mapping is
never skipped, if the programmer starts writing code immediately the mapping
is hidden, but must still be done).

-- Tommie

On Sep 9, 2013, at 3:42 AM, davep <davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Given schema A as input XML. Schema B as XML output.
>  Assume no hierarchical simple relationship.
>  Assume mapping of values needed from input values to output values.
>  Assume literals are needed.
> How do (might) you specify the required transform?
> How do (might) you validate that instance A has been correctly transformed
to instance B, assuming input and output are both valid to the schemas.

> Not something I've seen mentioned on this list?
>
> regards
>
> --
> Dave Pawson
> XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
> http://www.dpawson.co.uk

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML