Re: [xsl] Saxon for C/PHP/Python/etc

Subject: Re: [xsl] Saxon for C/PHP/Python/etc
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:27:30 -0400
On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 10:00 -0400, Louis-Dominique Dubeau wrote:

> Yep. I have to run XSLT on the server. There's a significant difference
> in the resources (time, memory) required between running something based
> on libxslt and running anything Java-based.

Just a side-note, on www.fromoldbooks.org I use a mix of a long-running
XQuery server in java (for /Search) and some Java applications that are
started, run, die. In the latter case the JVM startup was a problem, so
I set up "nailgun", a package that keeps one or more JBM instances ready
and starts up new ones after the programs exit. It's not as good as a
long-running server but it does remove the JVM startup cost.

For fromoldbooks.org I also wrote a front end that does some (minimal)
security checks and maintains a cache and a check on how busy the system
is, and uses memcached for the two most frequent queries, mostly because
a fast response time improves google ranking significantly.

> > Also I
> > was rather under the impression that most web browser plugins were
> > written in C++ and not Java.
>
> That seems correct to me.
Yes, I don't think any of the main browsers support a Java plugin
directly, you have to go through a C API. Java applets are executed
inside a JVM that's running in a plugin written in C (or C++).

Liam